“How It Works”

  1. Consignments accepted by appointment only between the hours of 10:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  Call 704-544-8228 to schedule an appointment.   Appointments may be scheduled on Friday or Saturday on an as needed basis. Unless a prior agreement is made, the maximum number of items to be consigned per day is (25).  Acceptance and price of all consigned items will be determined and established by Consignments on Park.  Items not accepted for various reasons (general condition, excessive damage, wear, odor, marketability, etc.) and not reclaimed within (48) hours will be donated. Consignments on Park will not call Consignor regarding pricing or to reclaim items we are unable to accept.
  2. Accepted items will be placed on consignment for a contract period of (90) days minimum and a maximum of (97) days.  Consignors may not reclaim unsold items prior to (90) days.
  3. Consignors will be paid (60%) of the initial price for items priced ($100.00) or more and (50%) for items of lesser value.
  4. After (30) days, all unsold items will be reduced in price by (10%). After (60) days, all unsold items will be further reduced in price by an additional (10%) for a total of (20%) of the original price. After (90) days, all unsold items priced ($20.00) or more may be reclaimed within a (7) day “grace period” between the (91st) and the (97th) day.  It is the Consignor’s responsibility to note the termination date and reclaim unsold items at the end of the contract period. Consignments on Park will not notify Consignors of unsold items.  The Consignor must advise at least (24) hours in advance to reclaim unsold items.  Unsold items priced under ($20.00) may NOT be reclaimed. After (97) days, all unsold items become expired and will be disposed of without notice, obligation, or payment to the Consignor.
  5. At any time during the contract period, Consignments on Park, at its discretion, may reduce the price of any item by not more than (10%) and/or may offer coupons, specials, or other promotional incentives in order to facilitate sales.
  6. Consignments on Park charges no Consignor fee, no initiation fee, no monthly fee, no annual fee, and no storage fee.
  7. A nominal surcharge will be added to all items placed on consignment. This surcharge is paid by the customer at time of purchase.
  8. Consignments on Park is not responsible for any damage, loss, or theft of any item left on consignment.
  9. Payout checks are processed by the (25th ) of the month for Consignors who generate a minimum of ($21.00) for the previous month’s sales. Checks may be picked up at Consignments on Park after the (25th) of the month or, at the Consignor’s request, checks may be mailed with the understanding that Consignments on Park is not responsible for lost checks or misdirected mail by the US Postal Service.  Requests for replacement checks will be honored after a (45) day waiting period.  If a replacement check is issued a ($25.00) bank stop-payment fee will be assessed to the Consignor.  A ($1.00) processing fee will be deducted from each payout check to cover all postage, handling, and administrative fees.
  10. All seasonal items (i.e. Halloween, Christmas, etc.) will be reduced in price by (50%) for clearance (2) weeks prior to the actual holiday.
  11. For large items (i.e. furniture), pictures are requested of the items wished to be placed on consignment.  This request is for the benefit of the Consignor.  Pictures are required in advance for all items to be picked up and delivered to Consignments on Park. Consignments on Park can pre-approve, but cannot price an item from a picture.
  12. Consignments on Park has worked closely with several local moving companies.  Once pictures have been approved we will send information regarding movers information.